chicagofan wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:
chicagofan wrote:
That's strange, because these [below] were the instructions I received
by e-mail, after I wrote them about my connection problems after the
changeover from Motzarella.  These instructions cleared up my problem:

It will connect with or without auth (but not with invalid auth, clearly). If you connect and don't offer auth, you can read and post to the subset of groups mozzarella.*, eternal-september.*, and possenet.* (no idea what that is). If you
get a valid account and offer the credentials you will then see all the
available groups.

You were offering invalid credentials or valid credentials in an invalid way, resulting in denial. If your passwords were in password manager I think they would no longer be found when the host name changed, so you would have needed to
(a) check always offer credentials, and (b) put them in by hand.

You can easily validate non-auth operation:
    telnet news.eternal-september.org nntp
    {200 message}
    list
    {guest groups list here}
    quit

To authenticate, the commands are
    authinfo user {account}
    authinfp pass {password}

   type those before 'list' and you will get the full list.

I only use nntp; and when they transferred the Motzarella servers to Eternal-September, I could not connect with my old settings by just changing the *server name*, so I tried a new account which wouldn't work either. That's when they gave me the instructions to "use authentication", and then it was all working again.

I can see I've added nothing to your discussion of your problems, so I'll stop now. :)

As noted in another post and the BZ for the problem, fixed in 2.0.1pre.Real bug, real patch, real unreleased fix.

--
Bill Davidsen <david...@tmr.com>