Claus a écrit :
Yes, in general you might be right. But according to Windows 7
Professional, my previous version of SeaMonkey (very likely 1.8) was
compatible with Windows 7 Professional, whilst the new version seems
to be incompatible, at least according to my configuration. And the
only thing which I have changed in the meantime is the version of
SeaMonkey. I still use the same version of my operating system and of
my anti virus.

Maybe the auto-update file got corrupted while being transferred. Did you try downloading the installation file from seamonkey-project.org and installing that one?

Should I download the new or the old version and install it in the
same folder the update programme tried to use? Should I install a
completely new version and try to import my old e-mail folders from
somewhere on my HD...?

I'd say, uninstall whatever is installed (whether 1.x or 2.x—no profiles will be lost) and reinstall 2.0.2 anew using a newly downloaded file. Hopefully, things should then go as intended.

There is no reason why your Win7 should consider the software incompatible while no such thing has happened to any other Win7 user. (Yes, I am on Win7Pro.)

S.