In <news:mjqdnfxvpcrqxdlwnz2dnuvz_qudn...@mozilla.org>,
Phillip Jones <pjon...@kimbanet.com> wrote:

> On Mac system while the actual system used is FreeBSD UNIX the Apple
> Mac Interface  does all the UNIX commands and the UNIX is hidden.

Not all of them, by far.  It just does the stuff most users will ever
need.

> It silly to have to type a command line in a modern system just to
> get to something that previously you had a menu choice for.

On Macs, does SeaMonkey still install a menu item to launch the
profile manager?

> I don't know what all this fascination with using command line stuff
> to do work. My goodness you were doing that in 1982 and 27 years
> later you still want to fiddle with command line. I don't find
> anything geeky, nerdy about it just old and out of fashion.

In some cases, it's used to do things that can't be done with the GUI.
It gives a lot more control, though it's certainly fine if that
increased control isn't something you want for yourself.

In other cases, it's used to quickly do things are more tedious in a
GUI.  For example, I create a new testing profile and launch the
browser by typing four letters, rather than by opening the PM then
clicking checkboxes and navigating to where I want the profile stored
and all that.  GUI users can do the same thing, but it takes them
longer, and it would annoy me if the GUI were the only way to do it.

--
                                      ASCII Ribbon Campaign      \ /