Rufus wrote:
Robert Kaiser wrote:
Russell schrieb:
I'm convinced that this was a ‘behind the doors' decision with the Firefox crowd to justify Mozilla supporting a second browser project, and they then agreed that Seamonkey would only continue as an integrated suite, and that's the only
way users will be able to use it (fatal error imo).

It's interesting that you know of decisions the project organizing way doesn't know about. It must be nice to see conspiracies everywhere.

Robert Kaiser

I don't know that I'd call it "conspiracy", but in looking at Firefox, Safari, Camino, Google Chrome, and now SM 2.x there certainly seems to be a vast amount of code sharing/swapping going on...the default interfaces are in a lot of cases nearly identical with the exception of colors in some cases.

And though SM still offers more Pref settings choices, the Prefs choices available in the others are also near to identical. At least that's the impression I'm left with after a high level look at all of the Mac versions.

If this is to be/become the case, the OP certainly has a point about loss of independence (either by choice or necessity) of code and functionality for all of the efforts - not just SM. If that's a business decision then that's the decision...but it sort of does bode for less genuine choice for the user between the packages in the end.

Here I must agree, Seamonkey seems to have moved from being a "project" with its own flavor, to being a mashup of FF and TB. I still find it useful, but the two things I find most missing are never going to be there because they are not in the base codes of FF and TB.

One of the major draws to SM for me other than it being an integrated suite was that it did things and allowed me choices I couldn't get elsewhere...some of those features noticably vanished with SM 2.x.x, and the thought that this could be a trend is responsible for me looking for alternatives, too.

I am sad that SM went with the FF browser intead of following the webkit route, but I realize Moz politics are involved, and siding with Chrome and Safari (IIRC) going another way wasn't politically possible, but those two projects seem to have chosen the best tech out there without political consideration, and they seem to be feeding stuff back into it.

As I've stated previously, if I could blend one or two key features of Opera with everything I had in SM 1.1.18 I'd declare near perfection.

The removal of form manager leaves me on 1.1.18 until the heat death of the universe, I simply am not happy with 2.0.x or the extensions available for forms, so that's kind of a dead end. The whole premise of forms as they are is wrong, it's a form field manager, not treating the form as a whole but a collection of possible vales for the fields.

I want watched threads in mail, too, but we never had that.

--
Bill Davidsen <david...@tmr.com>