On 01/29/2010 03:36 PM, Russell wrote:
> As someone who's been on the web since the beginning with Mosaic , then
> Netscape, then AOL Netscape (ugh) , then Netscape re-born as Seamonkey, it's a
> sad day to have to give up and move on,
>
> The end comes with v2.x, Seamonkey and the decision to no longer be a simple
> browser, but that it must be an ‘all or nothing' suite. So if you need to use
> another email client then it will just screw up your whole way of working.

Really? And early versions of Netscape were just simple browsers?
I still have both Mosaic and Netscape on disk, including a version of
the first Netscape w/support license. I suppose I could pull it out of
the archives (shelf) and check it, but I seem to recall that it included
an email client.

> I'm convinced that this was a ‘behind the doors' decision with the Firefox
> crowd
> to justify Mozilla supporting a second browser project, and they then agreed
> that Seamonkey would only continue as an integrated suite, and that's the only
> way users will be able to use it (fatal error imo).

What on earth are you talking about?

> The Firefox crowd will be happy to hear that I know of at least 5 users (this
> week alone) who have moved to other browsers as there is no upgrade path for
> them beyond  v1.1.18. Meanwhile Firefox continues to offer an email client
> (Thunderbird) as a OPTION and that's probably where they will go, as have I,
> for
> now. But this whole thing smacks of nasty backroom BS. I'll hold my nose and
> use
> Firefox for now. But it's sad to have to say goodbye to a browser I've used
> and
> promoted for so many years.
>
> R.

Bye.