On 07/22/2010 04:50 PM, Robert Kaiser wrote:
> Daniel schrieb:
>> Ant wrote:
>>> On 7/21/2010 8:32 PM PT, Daniel typed:

>>> Daniel, I don't see an option to automatically/silent install or prompt
>>> before installing.
>>
>> When I brought up a similar line of discussion a while back, I think the
>> line put out was "These are security updates, they are good for you, you
>> don't need to know about it, it will just happen!".
>>
>> I can, sort of, see the point, but if there are still people using SM
>> 1.x.x because they don't like some of the additional/subtractions, there
>> might also be those that want to stick with 2.0.4 and not upgrade, but
>> they don't get that option.
>
> Why? 2.0.x security updates don't introduce any functional changes, only
> security and stability updates as well as fixes to annoying actual bugs.
> I see no reason why anyone would want to stay on more broken releases
> with the same functionality.
>
> 1.x vs. 2.0 has a lot of functionality changes, I see arguments there,
> though IMHO none of them are good. ;-)
>
> Robert Kaiser

<Not snipped on purpose>

You've already been told some time ago why in a previous thread
regarding this:
> This is also a security issue; the opposite of what Robert suggests. The
> default of automatically downloading a SM update (2.0.4 to 2.0.5 for
> example) without the user first authorizing the download is plain wrong.
> I suspect that the update url's, app.update.url etc strings could easily
> be changed by a trojan etc.
> app.update.url. We of course _trust_ that the auto update urls are
> secure and working, but the possibility still exists that these actions
> could be redirected to a trojan update.xml
>
> Then of course, what if you are purposely keeping the rev at a
> particular version (testing, problems with the updated version etc)?
> Or worse yet, if the update that you hadn't planned on installing fails?
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Software_Update

It's a system security issue! The update url's can easily be changed by
a trojan et al.

Further, the *user must* be in control of whether to perform an update
or not. That said; Edit|Preferences|Advanced|Software
Installation|Updates|uncheck 'SeaMonkey' will prevent this. This should
be the default until SeaMonkey provides a proper "Do you want to
download" type prompt.

+1 to Ed Mullens post.