Sat, 24 Jul 2010 15:28:58 +0200, /Georg Maaß/:
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

Marking individual posts never works (for email or news) as the spammers
use a different user ID (email address) for each message. You just end
up with a huge list of never-to-be-used-again filters.

I created a message filter via menu Tools -> "Message Filters..." for
mozilla.dev.tech.dom

The filter is specified as:

Apply filter when: Checking Mail or Manually Run
Match any of the following
Message_ID contains googlegroups.com
Perform these actions: Mark As Read

but no Run manually button is provided for the filter. So it seems to be
useless. If this GUI is not designed to create filters for news groups
the dropdown menu Filter for should provide mailboxes only. Currently it
provides mailboxes as well as news servers, but filters on news serves
seem not to work.

Yes, currently news account filters work only on newly downloaded headers. See my other reply - I've reset the groups to make them re-download the headers, but then it appeared impossibly slow.

--
Stanimir