Rick Merrill wrote:

Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Yesterday, I packed up my fully functional laptop with SM 1.1.16 and
brought it to a different location, where we plugged an Ethernet cable
into my host's Verizon FiOS router. I can browse, receive mail, and post
to NGs, but not send POP3 mail. I keep getting a message saying a
connection cannot be made to the SMTP server. This applies to three
different SMTP servers hosted by three entirely separate companies. I
can retrieve mail from all three.

Check with those ISPs.

Hard to believe all three of them went bad all at once. Much more likely the trouble is at my end.

Paul B. Gallagher