W3BNR wrote:

Set up a new SMTP account by going to Edit/Mail&Newsgroup Account
Settings/Outgoing Server (SMTP)/Add

Call it "Alias" and set it as the above, ie:

Server Name: outgoing.verizon.net
Port: 587
User Name: Joe.example (note: not joe.exam...@verizon.net)
Secure Authentication: No
Connection Security: None

Now set up a new account using Edit/Mail&Newsgroup Account Settings/Add
Account

Call the account Alias and fill in what you want (name & e-mail address
- must be a valid e-mail address) and go down to the 'Outgoing server'
box and select Alias.

This should work with Verizon FIOS.

I forgot the MOST important thing. In the new Outgoing Server, 'Alias',
the User name MUST be your friends FIOS user name - NOT YOUR name.

OK, tried this, but the moment I clear the security/authentication checkbox, SM also clears the username. When I check the box again, the field remains blank (it really did forget the username).

Paul B. Gallagher