Doesn't your router software have release/renew? I can just log into mine and get a new IP.

LMH

David E. Ross wrote:
On 12/24/10 11:06 AM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
On 22/12/10 23:04, David E. Ross wrote:
[...]
By the way, because my cable modem is always on, it has the effect of
giving me a static IP address.  Every so often, I force a new IP address.

Hm. My ISP (Belgacom Skynet of Belgium; what is yours if you don't mind sharing the info?) disconnects me forcibly whenever my modem has been connected continuously for 36 hours (± 1 second). At other times (in practice rarely) I may of course get a new IP address by turning the DSL interface off then on from a root console prompt.

Best regards,
Tony.

My cable modem is connected to Road Runner, a unit of Time Warner Cable.
 It has no on/off switch.  Even when my PC is powered off, the modem is
still connected to the Internet.  To disconnect it, I have to pull the
plug on the power cord or physically disconnect the cable.

Road Runner said I should get a new IP address if I disconnect for at
least 15 minutes.  Alternatively, they suggested the use of ipconfig,
for which I created the following DOS script:

chdir C:\WINDOWS\system32
ipconfig.exe /all
Pause "Old IP"
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig.exe /all
Pause "New IP"

However, to run this script, I have to connect my PC directly to the
modem instead of connecting through my router.  The router creates a LAN
for my PC and my wife's PC.  I tested this, and the script was not
effective while my PC was connected through the router to the modem.

Doing anything with the router or modem is a bother.  They are in an
attic storage area that I can reach only if I move my printer stand.