On 12/30/10 2:52 PM, L. Mark Hall wrote:
> Doesn't your router software have release/renew? I can just log into
> mine and get a new IP.
>
> LMH

I tried that.  After releasing, I waited about a minute before renewing.
 I got the same IP address that I had before.

On the other hand, by connecting directly from my PC to the modem  --
bypassing the router -- I was able to get a new IP address by releasing
and renewing.  The direct connection from PC to modem is what Road
Runner recommends.

In my setup, I think the external IP address is controlled by the cable
modem and not the router.  I'm guessing that the release and renew
operations do not get past the router to the modem.

The setup is:

2 PCs running Windows XP, each connected to the same router

cable/DSL Internet router with 4 LAN ports (only 2 being used) and
built-in firewall, Netgear RP614 v.4, connected to the modem

Motorola SURFboard SB5100 cable modem, connected via Time Warner Cable
to Road Runner

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

On occasion, I might filter and ignore all newsgroup messages
posted through GoogleGroups via Google's G2/1.0 user agent
because of spam from that source.