Tony Mechelynck wrote:
On 18/04/11 23:30, S. Beaulieu wrote:
Ray_Net a écrit :
Context menu is opened by using only the right-click ... all well-done
windows programs will permit that without the need of pressing the ctrl
key in the same time. The middle-button (not present on every mouse)
will do other things but not opening the context menu.

But that's not what he said. He said he was only clicking the left
button and holding it down to select the proper option. That's not
right-clicking.

S.

If you press and hold the right mouse button, the context (popup) menu
will open. You can then move the mouse pointer without releasing the
button, and if you pass over a submenu it will open while the mouse
pointer is over it. You can navigate the menus in this way, still
holding the right button, until the mouse pointer reaches the menuitem
which you want to trigger. Then you release the mouse button. This has
always worked as far back as I can remember, maybe even on Netscape 4.72.

Similarly with the left button if you start on the menubar.

Of course, if you have configured your mouse for left-handed use, the
left button becomes the right button and vice-versa.

An alternative way of navigating the menus consists of doing a
click-and-release at each level going down, until you reach a menuitem
which is not a submenu: then that one gets triggered.

On modern mice of the "wheel" type, pressing the wheel without rolling
it actuates the middle button.

Best regards,
Tony.

The issue is Mac-specific. Most (if not all) older Macs were interfaced/oriented to use a one button mouse. Newer Apple mice can be set up to emulate multi-button function, but some users still prefer the simpler single button oriented UI experience - and a lot of long time Mac users may not know or realize that the cntrl+click key combination is actually a "right click" because of that, and so they miss that setting up their input device to do that.

Personally, I can't stand pawing the desk with any mouse, even Apple's Magic Mouse - haven't been able to stand mice ever since I discovered the Kensington Trackball, and a lot of Mac users use those. About the perfect input device, IMO. But I've since traded my KTB for an Apple Magic Trackpad to be able to use the new UI gesturing features and kinetic scrolling.

It took some getting used to, but I like it now - more familiar operational transition between my laptop to my desktop now. And I can cntrl+click ("right click") by doing a two-finger tap, or tapping a specific area on the pad.

--
     - Rufus