On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 09:44:58 -0700 (PDT), go-arts wrote:
> Mac OS X:
> Till now I found Seamonkey - Mozilla very efficient. I do not use
> Firefiox because you are obliged to use control-key for opening the
> mouse-click-pop-up-menu (mouse-click-pop-up-menu: you keep the left
> mouse-button pressed anywhere on a location like links until the menu
> opens. You can do this in Seamonkey with one hand like you could do
> since more than ten years in Netscape, Mozilla etc. and work with one
> hand only. Very efficient!).
>
> I could so choose "open the link in tab" or "open the link in new
> window" by only movin to the line and releasing the mouse-button.
> Now, since Version 2.1, I am forced to click again on the line in the
> mouse-click-menu which forces me do do the double of clicks than
> before.
> My arm is already suffering by these inefficient reflexes.
>
> Is there any means to get back the old quick and efficient feature?
>
> P.S.: I DO NOT appreciate to change such features without asking the
> users oder installing the old alternative! This concerns many people
> who are depending on their work-flow every day in thousands of
> movements and clicks!
> I bought the Kensington track-balls to be protected against problems.
> Now Seamonkey 2.1 brings me these problems back!
>
> Greetings

<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Ui.click_hold_context_menus#Background>

Quote:
"On the Macintosh, many users do not use a two-button mouse. In the
mid-’90s, Netscape started using the convention of “click-and-hold” to
provide access to the context menu. Later, Apple standardized
Control-Click as the way to access context menus. For backwards
compatibility, Mozilla still supports “click-and-hold.” This preference
determines whether or not the context menu will be shown when clicking
and holding down the primary mouse button on a Macintosh.
Possible values and their effects"

The old Mozilla Suite and SeaMonkey until 1.1 used click-to-hold on OSX
platforms. In the meantime Apple had standardized on CTRL-CLICK. All (or
most) third party applications followed by dropping support for
click-to-hold. By the time SeaMonkey 2.0 was in development the Suite
was the only major application that still defaulted to click-to-hold.
Whole new generations of Mac users had grown up not knowing about
click-to-hold. I think we made the decision to go with the flow because
the current generation of Mac users had never known the OS9
click-to-hold method.

It's only dinosaurs like you and me who remember differently.

Phil (And yes we have always been at war with Eastasia)