On 30/05/11 12:53, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Although not new to computers I am fairly new to SeaMonkey. I am using
version 2.0.14. There has been a lot of chat about the new version 2.1.
Since my version works just fine for me is there any real reason or
advantage to moving up?

I feel that I would be quite happy to stay where I am. If it ain't broke

Just wondering

Neil

You can still safely wait until the SeaMonkey 2.1 release is announced and maybe a little more, but not too long: once SeaMonkey 2.1 final gets released, support for SeaMonkey 2.0 won't last very long -- the (volunteer) SeaMonkey team just hasn't got enough resources to keep maintaining as many parallel versions of the software as does the Firefox team (many of whose members are paid employees of the Mozilla corporation). It is a testimony to the SeaMonkey community's enthusiasm that they are succeeding to maintain such a good-quality software product in spite of their relative lack of human and hardware resources.

Once the users of SeaMonkey 2.0 start going over to SeaMonkey 2.1, there will be fewer and fewer people finding any possible remaining bugs in SeaMonkey 2.0 -- and fewer bugs found means fewer bugs fixed too. You can't prove that the software ain't broke, and any bug left in it is gonna bite you some day, maybe sooner -- maybe later.

Currently, in addition to SeaMonkey 2.0 where AFAIK only severe security and stability bugs are still being fixed, the SeaMonkey team is maintaining two later "code branches", namely SeaMonkey 2.1, which may be released any day now (the first release-candidate is already out and a second one is in the works), and SeaMonkey 2.2, which is still at the preliminary "pre-alpha" stage. IIUC, the underlying "backend" code is common between SeaMonkey 2.1 and Firefox 4.0.x, and between current builds of SeaMonkey 2.2a1pre and Firefox 7.0a1.

Best regards,
Tony.
101. U can read htis w/o ny porblm and cant figur eout Y its evn listd.