JeffM wrote:
sean bean wrote:
Google is likely telling you your browser is not supported because
Google wants to set all sorts of cookies and location awareness data
in your browser,

Nope.

which SeaMonkey generally doesn't allow by default

Nope.

While I laud your suspicion of megacorporations,
your accusations about Google are way off the mark.
The truth is much simpler:
1) Google has embraced Web 2.0.
2) Google employees don't know the *basics* of what they are doing.

Some time back, Google announced that
their efforts going forward would require users to have
a browser with good support for HTML 4, CSS, and JavaScript.[1]
Most of the headlines of that time
specifically mention Internet Exploder 6.

Google is sniffing for browsers
and blackballing those it deems unworthy of accessing its pages.
Again, sniffing is a stupid practice;
using it *incorrectly* is monumentally stupid.

It is obvious that the Google employees who implemented this
are unaware that the **proper** way to sniff is to
look for **the HTML rendering engine** in the user agent string
(Trident, WebKit, Gecko, Presto, etc.).
They are instead showing their ignorance by looking for browser names.
Again, this is WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.

i avoid google as much as humanly possible...

Mostly, I adore Google.
Mostly, they "get it" and mostly they get it right
(considering all the SEO asswipes who try to game the system).

This instance is a failure of management to oversee workers;
quite possibly a failure of managers
to understand the job better than their underlings.
.
.
[1] As I mentioned,
to just do searches, you can turn off most of that stupid shit.[2][3]
OTOH, Google Docs, viewing PDFs as Web pages, etc.
requires the bells and whistles.

[2] When I recently used a Web terminal at the library,
I didn't remember any of Google's numerical IP addresses
and couldn't access the Google preferences either.
What an irritating experience.
Using Windoze (with right-click totally disabled by the "experts")
gave me a rash as well.
Using Internet Exploder also sucked.
(M$ tried to imitate Mozilla's tabs--and failed.)

[3] I haven't yet found a Userscript that
gets rid of the wasted space on results pages
down the left side of my narrow screen.>8-|

google's corporate motto is "don't be evil"

but this is now opposite land...

they are 2011's version of 1984's ministry of truth...

i refuse to use them, scroogle is my search engine of choice, i've opted out of analytics, don't use google docs or gmail, i don't store anything in the cloud and i've never ever used my real name anywhere on the internet since going online in 1994..

sean