MCBastos wrote:
Interviewed by CNN on 06/07/2011 19:03, Rufus told the world:

No.  You just don't understand what I'm getting at.  I'm not saying
"bring Mozilla to iOS".  I'm saying it's not "impossible" to duplicate
the SM experience using WebKit.

For a given, very particular, very limited definition of "SM experience..."

A Webkit SM won't run extensions available for Gecko SM
A Webkit SM won't render pages the same as Gecko SM

Yes, and I've begun to notice web page designers having two (or more?) versions of their pages - Google is an example. If you surf Google with iOS Safari you will get a page optimized for the iPad and a link to display the desktop version Google page - which iOS Safari will display, but poorly. (if web designers can do this, I can't explain why they all still can't browser sniff correctly...)

I expect I'll notice more of this as I use my iPad more - I've only had it about a month or so, and have yet to travel with it or actually depend on it for any length of time as a faux "netbook".

Those two, taken together, mean that the user experience *will not* be
the same. Ergo, the experience cannot be duplicated.

q.e.d.

Not really. Think in terms of features first and foremost - "accuracy" of translation. Features - within limitations, as I've said/accepted...maybe I should be saying "replicate" vice "duplicate"? The point would be to offer some/most of the functional things SM can do that Safari doesn't - let's start with tabs, for example.

Tabs are *the* reason I use Atomic over Safari on my iPad. And other simple things - like being able to designate and store a Home page and have a Home button - iOS Safari doesn't do that, but Atomic does.

A second (and my most) desirable SM port would be an integrated usenet reader/mail app - presently there is only one that I can find: NewsTap. While it's a great app and I'm very happy with it, it's still not like using an integrated suite - which is another of *the* big features I like/prefer about the Netscape/Mozilla Suite/SM collection historically.

Thirdly and most important would be the SM graphical interface - looks. I find Atomic to be very "SM-like" (it even supports limited "theme" color choice - and has tabs), which is which is why I like it. Does it function exactly like SM? No...but I can understand and live with that. My experience of Atomic is similar to my experience of desktop SM.

Sure - present add ons, etc. wouldn't be supported - functions of more popular ones like spoofing could be built in as it is win both iOS Safari and Atomic. Support add-ons in the future? Wide open...

But I could/would still have something I'd be familiar with - and it's that familiarity that's the crux of what I'm trying to get at. iOS Safari doesn't behave much like OS X Safari, and iOS Safari isn't nearly as fully featured but both still "feel" like Safari. It doesn't have to be "exact", and I didn't mean to imply that, if that's what came across.

--
     - Rufus