Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:
I used "reply/all"; if I don't, it goes only to you.
** Phil.
--------

Daniel wrote:

Philip, why did you reply to the newsgroup *AND* to me via email?
There is no need and only wastes my available email allowance!!

True. So is Daniel's well-made point. If the message is pertinent to and addressed to the group, it makes little sense to address it to "all." If you address your response to Daniel as WELL as the entire group, it looks like you're making a point - to the list membership - of Daniel's getting HIS own copy...for whatever reason.

Your response will contain Daniel's name at the top of your return message as a contributor, but now he gets TWO messages, and as he says, not only did he get double what everyone else gets, but it negatively affects his email allowance.

He's merely asking for a little consideration.

Every time I send a response to a message on this group, I need special care that I don't end up sending my response to ONLY the person who posted his message last.
That makes very little sense.
If I'm reading messages in a Special Interest LIST, any response should GO to the list. But not THIS list.

One's normal intention when choosing "Reply" is to add your personal comment to the subject matter on the LIST, not only the last person entering his opinion ~ but that's how this list has been set up.

JMMHO,

keith whaley