Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

Paul B. Gallagher wrote :

> Weird. If I do an ordinary reply to Daniel (CTRL-R or click the
> button), I get only the newsgroup.

Well, here are the (relevant) headers from Paul's message,
as displayed by Seamonkey 2.2 e-mail client in IMAP mode :

From: Daniel <d...@albury.nospam.net.au>
Subject: Re: Seamonkey 2.2 e-mail client : where has right=click "Paste as
quotation" gone ?
To: <support-seamonkey@lists.mozilla.org>
Sender: <support-seamonkey-bounces+p.taylor=rhul.ac...@lists.mozilla.org>

So, in the absence of an explicit "Reply-to:", I believe
that Seamonkey is correct in sending replies to :

Daniel <d...@albury.nospam.net.au>

and replies/all to

Daniel <d...@albury.nospam.net.au>
<support-seamonkey@lists.mozilla.org>

according to my understanding of RFC-822 (which is probably long
superseded, but almost certainly the last RFC that I actually
understood).

You may be right about what it /should/ do; I won't quibble over the "legalities." But my SM 2.0.14 behaves as I described, notwithstanding the RFC. If v. 2.2 behaves differently, that's a change.

Further, assuming that the private address shown here has been munged to defeat spammers, we must infer from the fact that a reply reached him that human intervention was involved (to remove ".nospam").

Paul B. Gallagher