Thu, 22 Sep 2011 22:10:49 +0300, /Stanimir Stamenkov/:
Thu, 22 Sep 2011 00:42:00 -0400, /Rostyslaw Lewyckyj/:

For some encodings, I can set the font size using the fonts
preference panel Edit>preferences>appearance>fonts,
But this does not work for example for unicode-8. which
is, understandably, not choosable via fonts-preferences.
In that case one needs a straight magnification/contraction
capability.
In my case for unicode-8 the font chosen/used by the system is
miniscule, and my sight is not all that good anymore. :-(
Anyway it would be most convenient in other cases as well.

The Unicode should generally be the "Other Languages" category, but
I've found it doesn't have any effect for me since quite some time,
also. Documents encoded using some UTF variant generally pick my
settings for Cyrillic fonts (probably picked up from my system
default encoding).

Saying the above, try adjusting your font size for all of:

Western
Central European
Cyrillic
Other Languages

to see if it would make difference for you when the document/composition encoding is set to UTF-8.

--
Stanimir