Ray_Net wrote:
cmcadams wrote:
Ray Davison wrote:
Ray_Net wrote:

I prefer to do the export under my responsibilty(verifying that my
bookmarks are ok, and saving bookmarks under differents names based on
the date) - i hate the automatic export. Imagine that the bokkmarks are
corrupted when the autoExportHTML work ... you loose it !

Point taken. So look in the bookmark backup directory, it keeps many
generations. If
you only use a single profile this might work for you. But since they
have now tied
the bookmark file to a single profile I find managing it is a bit more
of a
challenge. I have a script that makes backups with incremented names.

I have found the bookmark file to be quite rugged. Mine started life
in NetScape. It
is very bloated because of lack of house cleaning, has 70
subdivisions, the HTML
version is 660K, the SQL version is 10M, I use it cross-platform, and
it still works.

Ray

To add to what Ray says (and I claim precedence on bookmark sloppiness
and bloat) what you're looking for in Bookmark Manager is Tools ->
Restore. Click on a date and presumably you're restored to your state as
of that date.

Correct. My discussion was about the automatic generation of bookmarks.html
file with
that info:
And, if you will create a "user.js" text file with the line
"user_pref("browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML", true);".
"bookmarks.html" will be updated at every SM close.

I think that this genration creates only one file bookmarks.html without "many
generation of this file".

Yes. Setting browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML to TRUE in about:config accomplishes the same thing and is how I got there. My point was that a botched bookmarks.html write needn't be a disaster.