Chris Ilias wrote:
On 12-07-25 9:36 AM, Rufus wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Rufus, in another twig of this thread, I've "Here Here"'d this
suggestion, but it's just occured to me that doing it this way *might*
have some people asking how come it takes for SM to actually close!!

That's why is should be an option and not a default, along with current
Compact to save size operation.  Let the user decide which best fits the
way they work.

Auto-compacting used to be off by default. Unfortunately, most users
don't know what compacting is or why they should do it. As a result,
they never do it, and their Inbox continuously grows in size, eventually
slowing down SeaMonkey. Imagine if every message you've ever received
was still stored in your inbox file, even after you've cleared your
inbox via SeaMonkey.

P.S. It's "hear, hear", not "here, here". :)

I for one certainly didn't know, or know the implications. I got the impression it was/is a *good* thing, but again I almost never see a Compact Folders notification (save 20 MB) presumably because of my own usage habits - I don't really use my SM Inbox for much. My Sent Folder, yeah...

But this is another argument for why I'd prefer to be able to just set Compact All Folders at close of Mail/session. It might take some time the first time (and I'm not sure that would really be true now that I'm a bit smarter on the matter), but after that I'd think it would go smoothly and transparently.

I still think it should be a user option, and not a hard coded default behavior.

--
     - Rufus