This is on a XP sp 3 machine.

Yesterday, I updated to the newest Java. It ran properly, asking me if I wanted to run applications each time. Later in day, I got "need a plugin to run this" messages, and discovered Java had magically disappeared from my machine according to the Add-on Manager. It was still in my programs folder, however. I quit for the day.

Today, I reinstalled it; it shows in the Add-ons manager as "Java Deployment Toolkit 7.0.110.21"; it's enabled, but Java applications still say "need a plugin to run this".

I removed Java, reinstalled, but nothing has changed. IE 8 uses Java without problems.

How do I get SM to use Java?