On 1/16/13 8:17 AM, flyguy wrote:
> This is on a XP sp 3 machine.
>
> Yesterday, I updated to the newest Java. It ran properly, asking me if I
> wanted to run applications each time. Later in day, I got "need a plugin
> to run this" messages, and discovered Java had magically disappeared
> from my machine according to the Add-on Manager. It was still in my
> programs folder, however. I quit for the day.
>
> Today, I reinstalled it; it shows in the Add-ons manager as "Java
> Deployment Toolkit 7.0.110.21"; it's enabled, but Java applications
> still say "need a plugin to run this".
>
> I removed Java, reinstalled, but nothing has changed. IE 8 uses Java
> without problems.
>
> How do I get SM to use Java?

For both Java 7u10 and Java 7u11, I had a great difficulty getting a
good installation.  After uninstalling the prior version, I had to
search my hard drive for any remnants of Java and JRE that were not
removed, being careful not to touch JavaScript.  Then I had to edit my
Windows registry to remove all keys and values for Java and JRE, again
being careful not to touch either JavaScript or things like "objres".
Only then was I able to get a good installation.

It's damned annoying that, having cleaned everything for installing Java
7u10, I then had to do it again for Java 7u11.  I would not bother even
having Java, but I need it for a Web-design tool that I occasionally
use.  I also enjoy a Web game that uses it.

I reported this problem to Oracle a year ago relative to Java 7u10.
Yesterday, I updated that report for Java 7u11.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Are taxes too high in the U.S.?  Check the bar graph
at <http://www.rossde.com/taxes/trickling.html> to see.