Trane Francks wrote:

On 8/1/13 7:19 PM +0900, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

Filters really come in handy here. I don't just let all my new mail
end up in the various inboxes. I have nearly a hundred filters that
route them to the right boxes so I can see at a glance (for
example) if I have mail from ABC Corp whose job I'm working on.
Like yourself, I get several hundred messages a day, and I couldn't
survive otherwise.

I'm just the opposite. I leave all unprocessed mail in each account's
respective inbox. Things don't get moved to their associated folders
until they've been read and prioritized; otherwise, stuff just falls
through the cracks. My inboxes are always empty at the end of a day.
Moving stuff automagically dooms me to leaving stuff unread that I
should have at least given a cursory glance. :)

I use the read/unread (plain/bold) marking to distinguish things that still need attention. If the message is bolded, that means I'm not done with it. So if my ABC Corp folder is bolded, I know there's at least one message requiring attention (and I have my display set to show the count so I know just how many). If a folder's unbolded, I know all its contents have been dealt with. And if I read a message but need to come back and deal with it later, I toggle it back to unread using the "M" key.

My filters don't mark messages as unread (except for senders I'm filtering to trash), so an incoming message filtered to the ABC Corp folder stays bold and gets my attention.

Paul B. Gallagher