PhillipJones wrote:
Rufus wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Trane Francks wrote:
On 8/3/13 1:56 AM +0900, Philip Chee wrote:

There is an extension for Thunderbird:
Growl/GNTP for Thunderbird
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/growlgntp-for-thunderbird/>

"Requires a version of Growl that supports GNTP, such as Growl for
Windows (http://www.growlforwindows.com). NOTE: Growl v1.2 and
lower on
OSX does *not* support the GNTP protocol and thus will not show
notifications sent by this plugin. Growl on OSX will support GNTP in
their v2.0 release and this plugin should work with that version at
that
time."

That'll be a good solution for users on OS X 10.7 (Lion), but it still
leaves us folks on Snow Leopard in the cold. Growl 1.2.2 is the latest
version that is compatible with Snow Leopard. So, it still seems that
I'll need to figure out how to roll my own extension using the legacy
protocol bindings.

I have a hangover, so it won't be today. :-P

Cheers, Phil.

trane

Trane, have you tried using http://code.google.com/p/seamonkey-ppc/
SeaMonkey?? I know it specifically mentions working with G4/G5 Macs, but
might also work with your Growl!! (at least until the V 2 comes out!!)

...why can't people just set a Rule for the sound they want to hear when
an e-mail comes in from a particular source?

Personally, I don't use SM as my primary mail client - I use Apple Mail.
I only use SM Mail for convenience as I'm browsing or "usenetting"...is
that a word?

I don't use Mail. I use SM as my Default app for mail newsgroups and web
Browsing.
FireFox and Thunderbird don't work seamlessly together.  if you click on
a Mailto in a website it opens a Blank webpage before it opens
Thunderbird and doesn't populate the email address into the blank
message.  I've reported this to bugizaal numerous times and nothing is
done about it.

If you open Apple Mail.app and set the default Mail app the to app of your choice it will work seamlessly - a Mailto link should open your choice of mail app, but you have to set the default in Mail.app.

My default is Mail.app, but because SM is a contained suite it defaults to SM Mail even though my default is Mail.app. If I ever transition to Safari/Thunderbird I'll set TB as my default but still keep Mail.app open on my desktop for non-browsing use.

--
     - Rufus