On 11/10/13 3:11 AM +0900, David E. Ross wrote:
On 11/9/2013 1:33 AM, Stéphane Grégoire wrote:
Hi,

David E. Ross a tapoté, le 09/11/2013 04:54:
On the news.mozilla.org news server, I subscribed to mozilla.test but
not to mozilla.test.multimedia.  I cross-posted a message to both.

This is not a usenet server, please make the same test.

On the Usenet news server reader.albasani.net (where I already had an
account), I subscribed to newsgroup alt.test.a but not to alt.test.d.  I
cross-posted a test message to both.  My test message appeared in
alt.test.a.

After cross-posting the test message, I subscribed to alt.test.a but not
to alt.test.d on the Usenet news server news.eternal-september.org
(where I already had an account).  My test message appeared there, too.

I then subscribed to alt.test.d on both servers.  My test message
appeared in alt.test.d on both servers.

Thus:

1.  You do not have to subscribe to a Usenet newsgroup to cross-post to
it.

2.  Cross-posted messages will propagate -- if the servers permit --
from the Usenet server where you posted to other Usenet servers.

No, I did not test for cross-posting to newsgroups where I was not
subscribed to any of them.  Among many Usenet users, that would be
considered abuse of Usenet.

I strongly recommend that, if you cross-post to a newsgroup where you
are not subscribed, you set Followup-To: for your message to a newsgroup
where you are subscribed.  You should note in your message that you are
setting Followup-To:.

My testing used Thunderbird 24.1.0, not SeaMonkey.  However, I believe
the mail-news code in SeaMonkey for posting and cross-posting is the
same as in Thunderbird.

Then it is a definite bug in SeaMonkey. I categorically was unable to post to both mozilla.support.seamonkey and mozilla.general without being subscribed to both. SeaMonkey returned an error that it could not autosave the document while I was writing, even though the save is done in local folders. Subscribing to mozilla.general cleared the problem and enabled the post to proceed as usual.

--
// Trane Francks    tr...@gol.com    Tokyo, Japan