Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Mort wrote:

Thanks again for the real-world advice. I re-installed S.M. 2.21, and
the e-mailing of Picasa pix now works well.  I'll therefore keep
using the 2.21 until the newest update comes out in circa
mid-December, hoping that the then newest update corrects this
annoying bug.

I really appreciate your help in solving this vexing problem, and for
your politeness in the process.

Here's an easily reproduced series of steps on Windows 7:

 From a Windows Explorer window, do either of the following:

a) select a file and click "email" at the top;

b) select a file, right-click, and select Send to... Mail recipient.

To the end user, it appears in both cases that nothing happens, but in
Windows Task Manager you can see that a new process called fixmapi.exe
*32 (FIXMAPI 1.0 MAPI Repair Tool) silently appears. If you repeat the
process several times, several instances of fixmapi.exe are generated.
After a minute or two (depending on your machine's speed, I suppose),
each terminates on its own, with no visible result.

It doesn't matter if a mail composition window is open or not.

Here's another set of reproducible steps:

 From MS Word 2010, choose File: Save & Send, Send Using Email, Send as
Attachment. The computer thinks for a while (ring-shaped spinner), then
this error message pops up:
     Word couldn't send mail because of MAPI failure:
     "Unspecified error."
     [Show Help >>]
     [OK] [Help]
     Was this information helpful?

Choosing "OK" returns this error message:
     Word was unable to mail your document.
     [OK] [Help]
     Was this information helpful?

Choosing "OK" dismisses the dialog with no further result.

As before, it doesn't matter if a mail composition window is open or not.

This is on a machine where SeaMonkey is the default mail application. I
can't vouch for what happens if it's not.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the interesting info, which I shall look into soon, when I am fully awake. Inasmuch as I can now send Picasa pix by e-mail again, it is of theoretical interest to check this out. When I tried a similar maneuver with SM 2.22, the e-mail could not be sent.

Mort Linder

---
is active.