Burry wrote:
On 17.07.15 4:41, HenriK wrote:
Daniel wrote:
On 15/07/2015 12:33 PM, HenriK wrote:
Rick Merrill wrote:
HenriK wrote on 07/12/2015 4:58 PM:

<Snip>

I am really confused. Win7 Home Task Manager consistently
indicates no
SM is running after a deinstall of v.2.30. Fortunately, my profile
info was left untouched by the v.2.30 deinstall process.  BUT, I
still
get the error message that the v.2.33.1, the newest version won't
install because another copy of SM (version not stated) is running.
After clicking past the error message window, however, I find that
v.2.33.1 has, in fact, been installed.  How do I get rid of this
nuisance error message?

Although I have been around since the MS-DOS days and don't really
understand much about any Windows version after W98, I can't help but
wonder if some odd bid of something has been left by the SM v.2.30
deinstall process in the registry or some other obscure place or that
the v.2.33.1 install mechanism code fails to do something it was
supposed to do.  Again, any ideas on how to get rid of the nuisance
error message and what is causing this problem?

Thanks, in advance for pointers to tutorials, and any suggestions or
advice.
Knowing nothing about the issue, I am reminded of times when I had to
reboot the whole computer because some program had left an in-use flag
on a file that a program needed and only a reboot would clear it.
You name what what I tried to describe:  some program - in this case,
the SM upgrade process - has left an 'in-use flag' alive.  If that is
the case, how does one get rid of the unwanted 'in-use flag'?  Multiple
reboots of the PC didn't solve the problem.

Henrik, it might be a bit drastic but have you tried completely deleting
SM (but leaving your profile in place), then used a registry cleaner to
remove any bits left-over by the removal and then done a complete
re-install of SM??

Of course, before trying this, download a complete new copy of whatever
the latest version of SM that you like is and, better safe than sorry,
copy or back-up your profile.

Thanks for the comment.  I have, in fact, already deleted SM twice and
reinstalled it and that didn't fix the problem.

The problem with using a registry cleaner is that one needs to know what
one is looking for.  My past experience is that most registry cleaners
aren't particularly discriminating and often delete things one doesn't
want deleted (I have had bad experience in that regard).  Accordingly,
their use has to be handled in a very precise way to avoid problems.
The problem remains, assuming I am looking for some odd bit of SM code
remaining in the registry, what is it I need to look for?  I would had
hoped someone from the SM development team might chime in with some
pointers on what I should be looking for.

I use revo uninstall to really clean the system of trash,
be it files, directories or registery items.
Of course, save/backup your profile.
My experience with Revo is mixed and I find it too aggressive and frequently insufficiently discriminating. I.e., one needs to know what one needs to protect in the registry and what one is looking for that is causing the problem at hand.