HenriK wrote:
In trying to update a copy of SM v.2.30 to the latest version on a
Win7Home Premium PC, the update fails and an error message is returned
claiming a 2nd version of SM is running.  After a file-by-file search
using Windows Explorer, I couldn't find any evidence of a 2nd copy of SM
but I wasn't clear about what evidence I should have been looking for.

What is the best way to deal with this problem that won't cause me to
lose any of the existing profile data (bookmarks, mail files, etc.)and
other customization?

Thanks, in advance, for suggestions, pointers to tutorial material, and
advice.

Just a hunch. Look in your profile for a file named "parent.lock". Delete that file and try the install once again.

George