As I've noted before, SeaMonkey's spell checker periodically switches language without prompting or authorization. For example, I was minding my own business today, browsing English-language sites, and it silently switched to the Russian dictionary.

Edit | Preferences | Appearance | Spelling
Language: English (United States) => Russian (Russian Federation)

I didn't notice until I began composing this message, when the entire subject line, as well as the body text, was flagged with wavy underlines.

So I went into the pref and switched it back to English. No effect. Wavy lines still there. Confirmed the pref -- still set to English (United States), but ignored by the spell-checker.

So I launched the spell-checker (CTRL-SHIFT-P), and despite the preference I had set, it checked the page against the Russian dictionary. I switched it to English, and it still flagged "As" at the beginning of this message. Not until I told it to "Recheck page" did it get a clue and start using the English dictionary.

Apparently my preference can be overruled if SM decides that the current page content isn't in that language. What I don't understand is why it would do that for this message, and persist in the error even after I've told it the correct language.

The language detection routine also appears to need work. Although roman characters can appear in Russian text, it is highly unlikely than an all-roman text, especially a long one, is Russian.

P.S. I do compose messages in Russian, which is why I have the Russian dictionary installed. But this ain't that.

Paul B. Gallagher