Keith Thompson wrote:
On 02/14/16 10:50 AM, Rick & Sharon wrote:
Ed Mullen wrote:
Keith Thompson wrote on 2/14/2016 10:01 AM:
My ISP (WOW!) has just changed mailing securities and now I have to use
a password on the smtp.  I cannot get the entry to take when trying to
send.  I am using SM 2.39.  I have gone through a number of trials.
Their requirement is that I use no connection Security, Port 587, and
Password.  I have set the smtp to these conditions, but the password
will not enter.  I have cleared the password file of these and then
tried the entry again.  It did not take, but the password was now in
the
password file. For some reason, it appears that the password file
cannot
communicate with the smtp.  What am I missing here? The mail sending
was
working fine until WOW changed their requirements. Wow, of course,
wants
me to change to Windows Mail and IE.  SM security is exactly the reason
that I avoided MS Products.

Keith Thompson

Keith, not sure why this is happening but you might try deleting both
the SMTP and the password and then recreate the SMTP.

Also make sure WOW haven't chgned whether your user login has changed
(i.e.
was just your account alias but is now your whole mail address, or
vice-versa.)
Previous, there was no login to send, but they changed the security
requiring port 587 and requiring user id.  With that, I have to use my
password.  SMTP keeps asking for password, yet it is there in the
password manager.  When I try to send an email, the request for password
keeps coming up and cylcling the request, but not accepting.  I have
removed all the passwords in the password manager, and removed the smtp
in the setup as well. I even went through a complete remove (did backup
my email) and then reinstalled SM. Still would not accept password when
trying to send.  Yet, I can go to Wow website and sign into my account
with my password and it is accepted there. Wow is no help on SM.  Wants
me to go to Windows Mail and IE <Ugh>/

Make certain you're using the correct username for SMTP. Depending on the provider, it sometimes has to be the entire email address, and sometimes only the part before the '@'. From http://www.wowway.com/support/internet it looks like you need just the bit before the '@'. If in doubt, try both possibilities. It may not be the same as what you use to log in to their website, although it often is.

Although you say they require no connection security, there's a separate option for whether the password is encrypted - so perhaps that's not set correctly. From the Windows Live Mail instructions at that http://www.wowway.com/support/internet it says to select the "clear text authentication" option; I think in SeaMonkey that means you'd need to select "Password, transmitted insecurely" for the authentication method.

If all else fails and you're on Windows, it might be easiest to humour them and set your account up on Windows Mail if that's all they'll support (make sure it's not set to delete mail from the server after downloading). If it works with Windows Mail, it's time to figure out what's different (perhaps confusion over the naming of various options). If it doesn't work, you're now having trouble with something they support so hopefully they'll help you get it working with Windows Mail and then you can transfer the solution to SeaMonkey.

Mark.