On Thursday, May 5, 2016 at 6:40:24 AM UTC-7, Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP] wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2016 13:10:36 -0700 (PDT), xxxxxxxxxxxx...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>
> >SeaMonkey 2.4 (presumed 32-bit)
> >Windows 7 32-bit
> >At CMD DOS Box, ver: Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
> >Shockwave Flash 21.0.0.213 (as read from SeaMonkey Add-ons Manager)
> >
> >Video card (info via Speccy program):
> >ATI AMD Radeon HD 6570
> >     Manufacturer    ATI
> >     Model   AMD Radeon HD 6570
> >     GPU     Turks
> >     Device ID       1002-6759
> >     Subvendor       Diamond (1092)
> >     Current Performance Level       Level 0
> >     Voltage 0.900 V
> >     Die Size        118 mm²
> >     Release Date    Apr 19, 2011
> >     DirectX Support 11.0
> >     DirectX Shader Model    5.0
> >     OpenGL Support  4.2
> >     GPU Clock       650.0 MHz
> >     Temperature     52 °C
> >     Core Voltage    1.050 V
> >     Bios Core Clock 100.00
> >     Bios Mem Clock  150.00
> >     Driver version  8.950.0.0
> >     BIOS Version    113-930-930
> >     ROPs    32
> >     Shaders 480 unified
> >     Memory Type     DDR3
> >     Memory  2048 MB
> >     Pixel Fillrate  20.8 GPixels/s
> >     Bandwidth       21.3 GB/s
> >
> >Thanks for prompt response.
> >
> >--SLMorris
>
> Since you're on a 32-bit system and some others have explained it's
> memory limits, you might be experiencing memory pressure issues.
> Meaning, you're hitting a memory ceiling and the system is starved for
> resources with your tabs open. These web sites might have intensive
> images and other resource gobbling code. If you have anything else
> running on your system while Firefox is running, it too will eat up
> memory only making the problem worse. Not much you can do.
>
> You have a 4GB system with a 2GB video card. That 4GB of system RAM
> works out to be about 3.1GB usable to the *whole* system. It's a
> 32-bit OS limitation.  That 2GB video card eats up 2GB of RAM
> automatically for address space leaving you with 1.1GB of free RAM. If
> anything else is using memory, you're going to run out of free RAM
> quickly. Thus, experience CPU churn and hard disk swapping virtual
> RAM.
>
> - Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

@The Chicago Wolf:

If the upper limit on a 32-bit system is 4GB, why are you saying that it's
really 3.1 GB? Do you mean that if I switch out to 64-bit Win7, I will get the
full 4GB?

Right this second, Speccy (sysinfo untility) reports:

Physical Memory
        Memory Usage    53 %
        Total Physical  3.50 GB
        Available Physical      1.62 GB
        Total Virtual   7.00 GB
        Available Virtual       4.32 GB

Take a guess how much I want to:
(a) upgrade to 64-bit Windows 7;
(b) purchase new hardware.

The only reason I upgraded from 64-bit WinXP to 32-bit Win7 is because I got a
5TB external USB 3.0 hard drive and WinXP-32 and Win XP-64 have a 2TB partition
size limit and cannot see a drive that large (unless it's already formatted to
partitions no larger than 2TB). That and the fact that Microsoft finally and
completely dumped XP support.

Whatever computer hardware I buy now can only be cheap used hardware at a local
computer store that specializes in selling used PCs, presumably obsoleted out
by businesses.

Given what you wrote, and the fact that I have no money for new computer
hardware, do you suggest: choosing the most resource-light browser I can find
and then only running that browser on my system with no other programs running?
I know this is a SeaMonkey site, but which browser is the least CPU & memory
intensive?

Note that my preferred method of Web-surfing means running 2 or 3 browsers (SM,
FF and Maxthon) simultaneously with each browser running multiple tabs, while
at the same time playing music on the PC, perhaps also with Foxit (PDF reader)
and OpenOffice also running. When I monitor my system for the purpose of this
thread, then I do have only 1 browser (Seamonkey) open. However, right now I am
running both FF and SM and CPU usage ranges primarily from 15-30% (while
watching Task Manager I also see spikes to 55%).

Thank you.

--SLMorris