On 8/1/2017 6:42 AM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
If you have a backup remove the following files and folders from this profile
and see if it comes up:

Folders:
storage
crashes
minidumps
webapps

Files:
webappsstore.*
xulstore.json

Might also be extension related if its really old so try starting in safe mode.

FRG

Desiree wrote:
I've mostly been using a newer profile since January 2017 and was using it
when I shut SeaMonkey down and then installed 2.48 and restarted SeaMonkey.
It was fine on this profile except it could not do a speed test at dslreports
(or anywhere) and get the usual speed.  It would get an extremely low download
speed (other browsers got normal speed).  I had to reboot the computer for
SeaMonkey 2.48 to be able to do a speed test correctly which seemed odd.

I 've had the new version for a few hours and just now tried to start the
default profile (after reading at Mozillazine forums that someone lost their
history on their very old default profile but their newer profile on 2.48 was
fine).  My history is fine on the newer profile (only goes back to January
2017 while history on the default profile goes back as many years as SeaMonkey
can keep) but when I tried to start the default profile by switching profiles
within SeaMonkey, it would not open.  I get a SeaMonkey icon in the task bar
but it will not start.  It is a VERY OLD profile (MANY YEARS) and, yes, I
backed it up before installing 2.48.

How do I get SeaMonkey to start in the newer, working profile?  I suspect the
older, default one is not salvageable (as the poster at Mozillazine thinks
about his).  This should not have happened though and I blame it on the fact
that I could NOT update internally. I have not, on any gecko browser, had good
results with being forced to install a new version rather than update
internally.

Yes, I thought maybe Session Manager that I have used on Fx for many years, (but only this year on SeaMonkey) could be the problem. But I didn't think about trying Safe Mode until today (after some sleep). The default profile started just fine in Safe Mode. So, I looked at the disabled extensions to see if I might suspect one as the problem but most of them I have on the newer profile which is fine.

I closed SeaMonkey Safe Mode. I restarted the problematic default profile and it was fine. But because I had started in Safe Mode earlier, Session Manager did not popup asking which session to start. A new session with no saved tabs was started.

I looked at History and it said about 8 sites were visited early this AM (when I couldn't get SeaMonkey default profile to start). So, evidently, SeaMonkey default profile did start and used the last saved tab session but I couldn't see it and Safe Mode today started with a NEW session, and no saved tabs. I closed SeaMonkey and restarted default profile and SAME PROBLEM AGAIN. Session Manager popped up and asked which session to start. I chose the session and saw a brief flash on my screen and then nothing but SeaMonkey was open on the taskbar. This confirms the problem is with Session Manager. I'll have to start again in Safe Mode and uninstall Session Manager. Restart normally and reinstall Session Manager (or simply clear all saved sessions and not have to uninstall/reinstall).