Mason83 wrote:
On 09/12/2017 12:11, Daniel wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Mason83 wrote:
On 08/12/2017 06:31, Daniel wrote:

2.    On my UseNet server (news.eternal-september.org), a lot of the
threads are disjointed, i.e. what was a thread of, say, fifteen posts
might now be showing as several disconnected threads. So, rather than
marking one thread of 50 posts as read, I might have twenty threads each
of two or three posts. How can I fix this?? Delete some index file and
re-create it?? Whatever??

Do you have filters that DELETE messages?

No, "Mark as Read" and "Ignore Thread" only.

Yes, deleting the index will make SM download all the headers
again, including those that might be missing.

Close SM. Navigate to your Profile in the Explorer.
Go to News/news.eternal-september.org
Delete (or rename to .bak) the *.msf for the NG you want to fix.

Regards.

Thank you, Mason, for confirming what I suspected. I'll give it a go,
tomorrow, if I can find a spare five minutes.

I was feeling adventurous, so located my Profile, completely closed
SeaMonkey, located the news.eternal-september-1.org.msf, renamed it to
news.eternal-september-1.org.old.msf and re-started SeaMonkey.

No change, still got lots of (large) threads now showing as lots of
(small) threads.

Oh, well!!

Some years ago, I remember that SM/TB collected all messages
with the same subject into one single thread.

Maybe there's a pref for that...

mail.strict_threading = false looks promising.

See also mail.correct_threading and mail.thread_without_re

Regards.

Who's a thickhead, then?? I realised, after my last post, that what I had done was not rename the *.msf involved, but an older, non-used, *.msf file.

This morning I've located the real *.msf file, renamed it by adding the ".old" to the name. Now downloading header 18,725 out of a total 293,946 headers .... so still got a while.

If that fails to improve the situation, I'll then have a look at this latest suggestion. Thanks for sticking with me, Mason

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

Go Dallas Cowgirls!! .... Er, Um, ... I  mean "Go Dallas Cowboys!!"