Daniel wrote:
Bo1953 wrote on 27/06/2018 9:53 AM:
bo1953 wrote on 24/06/2018 3:26 AM:
Hello all,

In trying to list items on ebay I have a few issues which I
have yet to be able to resolve and hope someone here can
assist.

1) when linking to photos to be uploaded, all are blacked
out, after uploading, still blacked out no idea as what is
causing this to happen, can see photos clearly and correctly
in File Explorer (can complete in Chrome); and

2) When uploading photos, in SM the system is stuck in a loop
and will not upload in basic tool template...

Even when using Default User Agent, the issues are similar.

Suggestions or ideas as to what can be done to solve this?

TIA - bo1953

Thank you again, it does not work now, it did work about 90 days ago
 when I last listed on eBay.

I do not know what could have happened to uncover this issue.

A few possibilities:

- You upgraded your browser

- You changed some option (possibly to fix an issue with a different site)

- There's something different about those photos than ones you've successfully uploaded before (larger, different camera, edited with different software, saved with different options, etc.)

- Ebay changed something about their site (next in line if none of the above are true)

- Updates to Windows, Antivirus software, ad-blocker blacklists, or something else not obviously related (probably unlikely, but you never know...)

- Various other possibilities which don't occur to me off the top of my head

thank you again for your input and assistance.

bo1953

O.K., what to try now?? I see from your User Agent, you have enabled the
"Advertise FireFox Compatibility" at Edit->Preferences->Advanced->HTTP Networking in the "User Agent String".

It might also be worth trying to disable that option. I've come across a few sites (mainly Google, but there may be others) which break with SeaMonkey set to "Advertise Firefox compatibility" but work with it disabled (so that Firefox doesn't appear in the user-agent string).

If you have the Lightning extension installed, also disable "Advertise Lightning installation" on the same page. I've had that cause problems before as well.

This adds the FF version to the User Agent String so that yours now shows as ....

  Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.3

I believe some sites just want the "Firefox/52.0" bit (i.e. no mention what-so-ever of SM), or want the FF version to be that last bit of the UA String. And some sites are rejecting the "Firefox/52.0" bit in any case, because FF 52 is getting old. I think SM 2.49.3 is based, sort of, on FF 54 or 55.

I think Firefox 52 is correct for SeaMonkey 2.49.x

I know that it is possible to add a line to your Prefs so that you can have a UA which is only sent to, in your case, ebay.com, but I don't know how to do that or what its content should be, maybe same as your current UA but make it, say, "Firefox/60" or something.

The preference would be, for example:
  general.useragent.override.ebay.com
and set to the full user-agent string which would need to be used, e.g.:
  Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
(yes, the same as with "Advertise Firefox compatibility" enabled but without the "Seamonkey/*" part).

However, a few points with doing that:

- Ebay might block you from doing certain things as it looks like you're using an outdated version of Firefox.

- However, that's the Firefox version that your version of SeaMonkey is based on, so if you set it to a newer version they might try using features not supported in your version of SeaMonkey (so other things might break).

- You'll need to manually update that preference every time you update SeaMonkey, if you want to be presenting the correct Firefox version.

- You might also need to set overrides for other domains they load content from (e.g. ebaystatic.com), but working out what those are can be tricky.

Just as I type this, I recall you used to be able to add prefs to SeaMonkey (or was it Mozilla Suite or Netscape Suite) by creating a Plain Text file called User.js (in the same location as your prefs.js file) using a plain text editor like NotePad or WordPad, but I'm not at all sure if this is still possible in SeaMonkey!

I'm pretty sure setting preferences that way has been mentioned on these newsgroups relatively recently, so probably still supported. I don't do it that way myself though (I just set preferences via about:config), so can't say for certain.

--
Mark.