mozilla-lists.mbou...@spamgourmet.com wrote on 28/06/2018 5:17 AM:
Daniel wrote:

<Snip>

This adds the FF version to the User Agent String so that yours now
 shows as ....

Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.3

I believe some sites just want the "Firefox/52.0" bit (i.e. no
mention what-so-ever of SM), or want the FF version to be that last
bit of the UA String. And some sites are rejecting the
"Firefox/52.0" bit in any case, because FF 52 is getting old. I
think SM 2.49.3 is based, sort of, on FF 54 or 55.

I think Firefox 52 is correct for SeaMonkey 2.49.x

Yes, but I think the 'x' part makes SM equivalent to later FF versions, e.g. back in simpler days, SM 2.45 (say) was equivalent to FF (2 + 45 + 1) = FF 48, SM 2.49 was equivalent to FF (2 + 49 + 1) = FF 52, so, *I'm guessing* SM 2.49.3 might be equivalent to FF (2 + 49 + 3 + 1) = FF 55 or so!!

I know that it is possible to add a line to your Prefs so that you
can have a UA which is only sent to, in your case, ebay.com, but I
don't know how to do that or what its content should be, maybe same
as your current UA but make it, say, "Firefox/60" or something.

The preference would be, for example: general.useragent.override.ebay.com and set to the full user-agent
string which would need to be used, e.g.: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT
10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 (yes, the same as
with "Advertise Firefox compatibility" enabled but without the
"Seamonkey/*" part).

However, a few points with doing that:

- Ebay might block you from doing certain things as it looks like
you're using an outdated version of Firefox.

- However, that's the Firefox version that your version of SeaMonkey
is based on, so if you set it to a newer version they might try using
 features not supported in your version of SeaMonkey (so other things
 might break).

- You'll need to manually update that preference every time you
update SeaMonkey, if you want to be presenting the correct Firefox
version.

- You might also need to set overrides for other domains they load content from (e.g. ebaystatic.com), but working out what those are
can be tricky.

Just as I type this, I recall you used to be able to add prefs to SeaMonkey (or was it Mozilla Suite or Netscape Suite) by creating a
 Plain Text file called User.js (in the same location as your
prefs.js file) using a plain text editor like NotePad or WordPad,
but I'm not at all sure if this is still possible in SeaMonkey!

I'm pretty sure setting preferences that way has been mentioned on
these newsgroups relatively recently, so probably still supported. I
don't do it that way myself though (I just set preferences via
about:config), so can't say for certain.

Oh!! O.K!

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623