On 2020-08-15, Lance Courtland wrote:

> Ken Rudolph wrote:
>> Lance Courtland wrote:

>>> Ken,
>>>
>>> Try this.  I'm using Windows 10, SM 2.53.3
>>>
>>> 1. Make Firefox your default browser, from Firefox and in Windows
>>> default programs.  Reboot computer.
>>> 2. In SM check Edit/Preferences/Browser, Default browser.  Make
>>> sure SM is not your default browser.
>>> 3.In SM browser, go to about:config.  Search for
>>> network.protocol-handler.external.http.  If it exists, set it to
>>> false. If it doesn't exist, create it as a boolean and set it to
>>> false.
>>> 4. Do the same as step 3 for network.protocol-handler.external.https.
>>> 5. Still in about:config, search for
>>> network.protocol-handler.warn-external.mailto and set it to
>>> false. If it doesn't exist, create it as a boolean and set it to
>>> false.
>>> 6. Close SM and reboot computer.
>>
>> *sigh*.  Neither *.http or *.https exists in my config file.  I
>> suppose I could figure out how to create them as a boolean since
>> years ago I did futz around with the config file per a suggestion on
>> this newsgroup. However, nowadays my computer savvy is not as
>> effective as it once was; so I'll just have to continue with my
>> practice of copying and pasting the links into Firefox by hand.
>>
>> Anyway, congratulation to you for succeeding and thanks for the hint!
>>
> Ken,
>
> Don't give up just yet.  Here's how to create a new config preference.
> 1. In SM browser, put about:config in address bar, hit enter
> 2. Right click anywhere in list of preferences
> 3. Select New, then Boolean
> 4. Enter preference name, i.e. network.protocol-handler.external.http,
> then click OK
> 5. In the popup window "Enter boolean value", select false, click OK.
> 6. Repeat steps 2-5 until all preferences entered.
> 7. Reboot.

I think it might be "expose", not "external", see [1].

Here I was able to open http(s) links (from inside Mail&News) using an
external browser after creating network.protocol-handler.expose.http and
network.protocol-handler.expose.https, both as booleans set to false.

(After this, if I try to open such a link, SeaMonkey asks me to choose a
helper application to open it with, and I can set it to "Remember my
choice".)

[1] http://kb.mozillazine.org/Register_protocol#Firefox_3.5_and_above
    (compared with the "[...] up to 3.0" subsection which follows)
    (This is all inside the "Linux" section, but seems to work in
    Windows as well.)

--
Nuno Silva