🐴 Mr. Ed 🐴 wrote:

True, but it was working up to 2.48.  I used it to copy when installing SM on a laptop. A friend asked because he wanted to do the same and I wasn't sure if it worked after that since I've been doing a backup doing the same as you suggested each night using a batch file to get all my daily work backed up.

You may be OK if you're doing a backup of your entire profile, and where any recovery you do is for all the data. From the notes I've seen (and problems with keeping up with frequency of Mozilla changes), my suspicion is that problems are likely to be related to partial recoveries.

Using MozBackup to copy a profile to a new machine may have minimal risk, if you're not asking it to do more than write/read to a .ZIP archive.

In any case, the place you want to be careful about is overwriting existing files. To me, the risk of data loss may be greater than zero.

I will note that there's a recent development of a Firefox backup tool https://www.sordum.org/12298/simple-firefox-backup-v1-2/ . I know that it exists, but haven't tried anything with it, and I don't know if you can use it with Seamonkey or not. However, the notes on that page are definitely worth reading, where they give adequate detail of their approach.

Smith