On 10/19/2020 9:51 AM, David H. Durgee wrote:
> This morning for the first time Chase Bank refused to allow me to access
> their web site.  My bookmarked login screen routed me to a security page
> indicated that I needed Firefox 68 or higher for their site.
>
> I will go ahead and spoof that shortly, as I suspect the page will still
> work, but this is the first time I have outright been denied access to
> their site with a current default UA.
>
> Dave

Do you really need to bank at a giant like Chase?

I have had an account at Unify Financial Credit Union (UFCU) or one of
its ancestors for over 50 years.  UFCU is one of the largest credit
unions in the U.S., but my account was originally opened at a much
smaller credit union that merged into UFCU.  UFCU has been my primary
banking institution even though credit unions are not really banks.  On
1 October, I paid bills online through UFCU.  On 2 October, I received
E-mails informing me that my checking and Visa statements were
available.  I downloaded the statements for my files and reconciled my
checking account.  On 8 October, I tried to login to my account.  All I
got was a pale purple screen.  After a lengthy phone call, I was
informed that SeaMonkey was not supported.  I am now in the process of
closing my accounts and moving my primary banking activity to another
credit union where I have had an account for over 30 years.

Yes, I also have an account at a real bank.  It is a relatively small,
regional bank with almost all branches in southern California (plus 3 in
the Central Valley of California and 1 in Colorado).  I have that
account in order to have a safe deposit box (not generally available
through a credit union) and to get images of all my cancelled checks --
fronts and backs -- with each monthly statement for those situations
where I might later need proof of payment.*  (Credit unions are
forbidden by law from returning cancelled checks.)

My father owned an independent furniture store.  He always banked at a
small, local bank.  He did not need foreign exchange, huge loans, or
other large-bank services.  Instead, he wanted to be recognized by name
when he walked into the bank.  If he needed some special service, he
wanted to be well acquainted with the manager.  At a small bank, all
that was reciprocated by the manager appreciating my father's business.
____________________________
*  Having images of cancelled checks proved very useful in 2019.  The
IRS sent me a letter claiming I did not make a payment on my federal
income taxes.  I called the IRS while holding the bank statement that
included the check for the missing payment.  After a very brief phone
conversation, the issue was resolved.  Two weeks later, I received
another letter from the IRS informing me that I did not owe anything.
Years ago, I had a similar problem with local property taxes, which was
similarly resolved.  There have been other such situations, never
involving payments through a credit union.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>