For spoofing, there's a couple of ways of doing it, depending on what you want to accomplish. You can do it either via settings in about:config, or use an extension to do it.

1) To change your UA globally (including what is shown in your mail client, you would go to about:config and create an entry for general.useragent.overrride and set it to show something like:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/86.0.4240.75 Safari/537.36

That's an almost-current version of Chrome. 86.0.4240.111 was released today, and I don't know if that causes changes to the designations of either AppleWebKit or Safari, but I think not.

2) If you want to spoof for a particular site, say, chase.com, you can do site-specific spoofing. Create general.useragent.override.chase.com and then set the UA string, as above.

I do that kind of thing with a handful of sites that don't like seamonkey. One of them happens to be google.com, where I set general.useragent.override.google.com to show a stock UA string for Firefox ESR:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0

This one gets me around a display glitch that's a minor annoyance, where the main search bar at Google doesn't show correctly if it sees a Firefox UA string that includes Seamonkey.

3) Use the PrefBar extension. That one allows you to spoof on the fly, where you can turn on spoofing when you want it, and then turn off again, when you don't. This one sets general.useragent.override, and where the scope is global. When I use this, I have to remember to turn off spoofing when I'm done with the need. PrefBar also takes a little setup/maintenance of browser versions, although for me, I have nearly a dozen different spoofs I've set up. Some of that is useful for testing web page handling (including my own) against a variety of browsers. I also find spoofing to be useful if I'm downloading Mac versions of software from sites that support Windows and Mac, and will only offer the version they detect in the UA string. Thus, temporarily spoofing a Mac allows me to get Mac downloads from Windows.

In my own use, I do a mix of options 2 and 3. Most of the time, I will enable spoofing when needed (and as noted, I have multiple things that I may spoof). However, for sites that I visit frequently, where I always need to spoof, it's easier to do that permanently for the site.

Personally, I don't like global spoofing, because it also applies to what is put into the User-Agent: header in email and news. For most people, it's mostly trivial, but that's something that I pay attention to with my mail (and there are times that it's useful to easily see what client was used for composition). I use the Display Mail User Agent for that, and if a message purports to have been composed with Firefox or Chrome as a mail client, then that's definitely odd. For mail servers, it is possible to track that information, and showing a browser as a mail client stands out as unusual. In a context where I'm interacting with other Seamonkey users, I know that it means that the sender is doing UA spoofing, and doing it globally.

Smith