> so. If they're curious, then they'll ask about it. But if someone is
> asking for an answer to a very specific question, then turning it into

If someone asks "Does anyone know how to make crispy bagels in the
microwave" and I suggest using a toaster instead for that particular task,
then I'm not directly answering their question, but I may be helping them
more than someone who says "Sure, you just use a blowtorch on them
afterwards" or something.

That's a bit of an extreme analogy -- I admit Windows isn't quite as bad
as toasting bagels in the microwave.  Not quite.

> an excuse to tell them how ignorant they are for "not doing it your way"

I was suggesting my way.  I wasn't implying that anyone was stupid.

> niche that's not going to be supported by the mainstream. And, if it

I suspect that this niche would include much of freenet.  If I don't even
trust my ISP, how am I supposed to trust Microsoft?

> ever does take off, and surplant Windows as the standard, then the
> hackers will just start writing their malicious code to infect it, and

It's already got something like 25-30% of the web server market.  Don't
you think they've been trying?  Maybe it's the open-source nature, or the
engineering of these systems that makes them more secure?

They are already more stable.  There are Linux machines that have been
running for years.  Is that because it's a "niche market"?  I doubt
Windows 98 would be any more stable if only 1% of the market used it.

> it'll be some other niche group ranting about how secure their systems
> are.

Either ignore rants or respond to them more intelligently than the ranter.