On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 08:36:21AM -0400, Don Gregory wrote:
> I just recently setup a node, and I'm trying to let it run for a while
> to give it a chance to spread its tendrils so to speak.  I'm at the
> point now where it's had maybe 4-5 hours to run over my 3Mb cable
> connection and I'm STARTING to get a little responsiveness from the
> network.
>
> Problem is, I want to leave it running for several hours to fully
> propagate itself, whatever, but it seems to be gobbling up a LOT of CPU
> power.  Well, not the Freenet executable, but the java engine running
> it.  That by itself wouldn't be a problem, but it seems to be making my
> computer crash.  After leaving it running for 15 minutes or so, my
> computer will spontaneously crash/shut-down.

Hmmm. Your computer has inadequate cooling, most likely. Not our
problem :). No obvious ideas for a workaround... except perhaps enabling
doCPULoad=true in the config file (you're on linux, right? :)).

> I tried setting the CPU priority in the config tool to be below normal,
> I tried setting the process priority in Task Manager to be below normal

Hmm, you're not on linux. That rules out that idea.

> for both the javaw.exe and freenet.exe processes, but it's still
> devouring over 90% of my CPU on average, and it's still crashing my
> system after 10-15 minutes.  This really sucks, because it was just
> around NOW that things were starting to get interesting.

15 minutes?! Your system's expected lifetime is pretty low if it crashes
in 15 minutes of 90% CPU usage. Are you sure you don't have major issues
with inadequate cooling?

> The system I'm running it on is:
>
> Windows XP Pro, SP2
> Athlon XP 1800+
> 768 RAM
> 3Mb cable internet connection

The downlink doesn't matter much. The uplink is what matters. 3Mbps
downlink, what's the uplink? 256kbps? 768kbps?

> Windows Binary 5091 version of the Node
> Sun Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_04
>
> Can anybody help explain what's going on here and how I might fix it?  I
> just recently installed SP 2 for XP, and I know that has a 10-connection
> limit for half-open TCPIP connections, and in the Freenet config

That doesn't cause major problems, according to other reports. In any
case it'll just queue them; it shouldn't cause a crash.

BTW, what exactly do you mean by crashing?

> utility, it says 200 connections, so I was thinking maybe that might
> have something to do with it.  I actually changed that bit of my Windows
> configuration, as 10 is too low.  The TCPIP stack I'm running now allows
> 50 half-open connections.  That may still be too low, though, depending
> on just how Freenet's using TCPIP.

Freenet uses 200 OPEN conns, it only opens 50 or so at once - so there
will not generally be more than 50 half-open conns.