On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 17:35:48 +0000, Toad wrote:

>That has generally been true of freenet in the past, unfortunately. We
>have made some progress, but nodes not working well for newbies is
>expected.

That's OK, as long as the newbie knows what to expect. I think the site says
something about "a few hours", which hasn't quite been my experience...
Oh, and the default size of the data store should be increased. A lot.

>Heh. That's called an RNF. It stands for "Route Not Found". And no, you
>don't need FUQID to download files from freenet

...but it works much better than anything else I've tried. :-)

>> The whole experience just isn't very newbie-friendly.
>Very probably. Anything that learns can't start up instantly. We've
>tried to improve it though, and maybe we can get a bit further with
>that. And of course, the overall network performance is a lot lower than
>it ought to be.

It's not only performance. For example, the prominently featured "Freenet Help
Index" links to an old version of Frost, which is why I couldn't get it to work
first.

>Possibly. But if we distributed Frost, for example, then we get a lot
>closer to "filesharing", which may have legal ramifications - especially
>with Frost's current initial boards selection!

You have a point there...

Thanks for your answers, all in all I'm happy now with the performance of
Freenet, I've given it 6GB to store data and it already uses 1.5GB.