On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 03:13:32PM +1300, Phillip Hutchings wrote:
> Yeah, I wish I had that connection to my home. I have to live with
> 256/128 cable. When I ran freenet on that it wasn't too bad, but I
> have a bandwidth cap.

I feel for you. Are you in australia/new zealand? Or is there a local
monopoly provider?
> 
> > Maybe you haven't been hanging around long enough to remember, but I was one
> > of the first people that suggested a  new testnetwork which could seriously
> > help in the development time in pinpointing problems...and yes, I've said
> > that several times, so you can call that whining, if you want, but it IS in
> > fact, a suggestion and an alternative - which some selectively remembering
> > dudes claim I never do or did - and a good one at that, because there was a
> > time we (at least Toad) agreed to it too. Do you here about it any longer?
> > Well, no, it's been put back in the freezer because it was prefered to play
> > with simulations that, as yet, didn't fullfill their promises neither.
> 
> Yeah, I do remember. At one point I considered helping hack the
> source, but it's just crazy in there. If only the protocol was
> documented somewhere so I could follow it through the source.

There is some documentation. But a lot of it is evolving. We're not
simply implementing a standard here. We're not writing a word processor,
or a TCP/IP stack, where everything we will do is pretty much well
known. What we are doing is closer to implementing the first TCP/IP
stack.
> 
> > Ah man, all this shite about I don't contribute anything valuable is so
> > lame.  That what gets incorporated is forgotten (like augmenting the htl a
> > year ago), and that what I propose in vain and hasn't been implemented is
> > deemed to be mere talk, because it hasn't proven itself. Well, duh.
> 
> I've only been on the list for a year though.
> 
> > Certainly, I have become increasingly sarcastic, but it shows a lack of
> > understanding if you fail to see what is the cause of it. When you entered
> > the scene a year ago, when freenet was plunged into it's worst non-working
> > period ever, then you might have a sense that it has progressed a lot -
> > well, it hasn't. Not in the end-users viewpoint, anyway. Maybe for a coder,
> > like toad, things are different: he codes, sees the code change, implements
> > new things, so, in his perspective, things have become better...but IMHO,
> > that counts for not much, if the enduser can't benefit from it. That's not
> > putting a blame on the hard work of Toad, or saying 'I don't like <toad>',
> > as you seem to think, it's just the way it is.
> 
> I know the feeling. I'm a web developer, and all the time I spend
> speeding up the code in certain conditions is basically moot as far as
> the boss is concerned. He's a marketer.

Other users have provided reasonably positive feedback, especially after
we recently fixed inserts.
> 
> I actually started running a node in the 0.3 days, but I was on
> dialup. Now that was horrible. I've been following it on and off since
> then, but now I have a fast server it works ;)

:)
-- 
Matthew J Toseland - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Freenet Project Official Codemonkey - http://freenetproject.org/
ICTHUS - Nothing is impossible. Our Boss says so.

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: Digital signature

_______________________________________________
Support mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.network.freenet.support
Unsubscribe at http://dodo.freenetproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/support
Or mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to