The real issue with the interface-based approach is in more complex networks. The user has to move from one tab to another, representing rules associated with a particular interface, in order to modify multiple rules associated with a particular application.

For example, if a user has an application that receives a connection from the outside to an internal server on a different interface and that application server then has to establish a separate related connection to another DMZ, rules will be required on the internet interface and on the interfaces of other DMZs. To enter these rules, the administrator will have to move from one tab to another and cannot see all the associated rules in the same context. While some users are well-disposed to understanding the concepts and making changes in each “tab”, other users require a complete visualization of the project. Seeing all of the related rules together makes construction of the rules easier since the user can then “trace” the application activity by studying each rule while entering another.

The argument below is more of a technical one and not a usability one. If there is enough interest, I am happy to prototype one. I am sure that a combination of filters, sorting and grouping can provide an extraordinarily useable interface.

Park