On Aug 29, 2007, at 6:20 AM, Tortise wrote:

we had a lot of problems with linux drivers and the intel giga nics
onboard our tyans; we turned off power management in the intel's eeprom.
maybe the same problem affects freebsd?

I've not had any issues with Intel NICs across several dozen FreeBSD systems of varying vintage (from the 10/100 "fxp" devices thru the 1Gb "em" devices). Broadcom NICs on the other hand have been mostly nothing but trouble until the most recent FreeBSD releases.