On 9/2/07, tester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Few ISPs (especially home users offers) reset their
> connection every 24h. I don't live in New Zealand, so
> I don't know Telstraclear Network, but are you really
> sure is it an equipment issue or a line problem (e.g.
> interferences, etc...)?
> If you can, try another cable modem.

I think you missed the first half dozen messages in this thread.  The
cable modem has been replaced (and others on Telstraclear have had the
same issue apparently).  Most likely it's some wierd dhcp lease
expiration or MAC expiration.  Although, unlikely to be MAC expiration
if the icmp polling isn't keeping the mac tables fresh.

This is DHCP right?  Check out /var/db/dhclient.leases.*
lease {
  interface "sis0";
  fixed-address 24.1.x.x;
  option subnet-mask 255.255.254.0;
  option routers 24.1.66.1;
  option domain-name-servers 68.87.72.130,68.87.77.130;
  option host-name "topell";
  option domain-name "hsd1.il.comcast.net.";
  option broadcast-address 255.255.255.255;
  option dhcp-lease-time 345600;
  option dhcp-message-type 5;
  option dhcp-server-identifier 68.87.72.44;
  renew 2 2007/9/4 06:43:38;
  rebind 3 2007/9/5 18:43:38;
  expire 4 2007/9/6 06:43:38;
}

It'd be interesting to see what the lease times are.