Bill Marquette wrote:
I have two connections to Comcast through two different modems (their
voip capable modem and their business modem - static IPs) at my house
and have _never_ had an issue with the connection.  The Comcast user
with issues is likely a hardware issue.

I didn't realize somebody on Comcast hijacked this thread. There is a problem specific to one .NZ ISP and at least one if not a couple of the people seeing it replied earlier in the thread. What I posted about earlier re: the trace was specific to this ISP in New Zealand.

There does seem to be some sort of problem with dropping offline if you have two NIC's plugged into the same broadcast domain. Since cable ISP's use absurdly huge broadcast domains, if you have multiple cable modems, unless they're drastically different like a business vs. residential, you're going to have two interfaces on the same broadcast domain. I have no idea what that problem is, haven't had a chance to try to replicate it. But I recall a couple people in the forum reporting a problem where it seemed to be narrowed down to this, and now I guess somebody in this thread is another.

But these are two very different issues. The .NZ users are seeing issues with single WAN connections.

I'm not sure I have anything more to add to David's issue though -
it's obviously not hardware.  Question for Chris on the trace.  Does
it show the upstream router sending arp requests for the local IP and
getting a response?  Not sure if there's a way to force a gratuitous
arp in FreeBSD without installing some third party tool like nemesis,
but that might be worth looking at I 'spose.

I don't think I saw any for the public IP on the system itself, but I assume it's likely in the router's ARP cache. I don't have the trace handy at the moment, I'll look later.