Re: Why can this not run on the pfsense router itself...
---
It could.  In fact, that's where I started.  However, since the
production version of pfSense 1.2 (RC4 at the time) doesn't have curl and
since I already have a system that runs various monitoring and
log-reporting tasks and since I was in a hurry (excuses, excuses), I
opted to do it in a way that'd be the quickest for me, at that time.

If curl is available on the development disk (or somewhere) and was
installed on the production version, the script could easily be modified
(if required) to run on FreeBSD (OS X's roots are FreeBSD + a Mach
micro-kernel, IIRC).  It's also quite possible that there's an
alternative utility that could be used -- I'm not that familiar with
FreeBSD.

Even better, for someone who's fluent in php, presumably the web-based
"API" could be bypassed completely.  I had a quick look at doing just
that, but it was clear that understanding the flow was going to take me
much too long (as much as I would have liked to do so).  Another strategy
would be to watch the log, detect a failure, then determine whether the
remote WAN IP's changed.  That would avoid the delay due to the polling
interval.

FYI, on our network (and in addition to the interval between script
runs), the time between the cron-initiated script being run and the VPN
being updated with the new IP is about 12 seconds, with the VPN tunnel
coming back up only seconds after that.

Later ...

|Bryan - This is ingenious. Awesome.  Why can this not run on the pfsense
|router itself as a scheduled task/ cron job. and update the ip address.
|Sounds like that would be a simple ping to xxxx.dyndns.org. Even if the
|ping fails the first line provides the last known IP address for the
|dyndns. Which can then be used...
|
|I will try and study this more but I am sure the greatest and the best
|on the forum can solve this in minutes!!!
|
|Thanks again for the utility. Best Regards

Bryan Derman    Derman Enterprises Incorporated
                http://www.derman.com/