Thanks David and Thanks Gary.

I spent a lot of time reading and a few things are somewhat becoming clear..
CARP uses a trusted (preferably dedicated) link to send heartbeat signals to
keep who is alive. This common knowledge enables some pfsense to stay inactive
(to either act as dhcp server or act as a gateway). When something happens to
master next in succession line takes over.
Very unique and innovative simple.

However most examples are for WAN side traffic and for keeping internet alive.
I will keep trying to find something that shows how servers can be balanced.
Its amazing because it even keeps the state.

Best Regards
Anil Garg

Gary Buckmaster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Anil Garg wrote:
> I have seen some documentation that shows how two pfsense can act as
> back up to the other (hot standby)..
>

> Is it possible for servers behind pfsense to exploit the same capability?
>
> Say we have one www.server on lan or dmz.  If this server to die, we
> want the system to point to another www.server on the same subnet.
>
> Thanks much.
Yes, there are a number of mechanisms that allow this to happen.  It
depends entirely on the type of operating system and applications you
are using.  Many database server software offer a clustering feature.
Linux has clustering capabilities through a couple of different
facilities.  Spend some quality time with Google, I'm sure you'll find
what you need.

-Gary